Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Good, The Back of Beyond, and The Ugly

Over the last few years, I have had an undying love of/obsessions with pre-World War II Asia. I've collected every book by Peter Hopkirk and every book on Roy Chapman Andrews I could lay my mitts on. I've purchased every miniature from Copplestone Castings' Back of Beyond line that I could afford (which hasn't been many). My interest in Eastern Jewel and Baron von Ungern-Sternberg has bordered on effin' pagan idolatry. In fact, an image of the Mad Baron himself was one of the very first avatar/userpics I ever used on the internet. And I've watched The Last Emperor and The Sand Pebbles more times than is healthy for any man.

Now, after spending the last couple of weeks repeatedly watching Sergio Leone's "Man with No Name" trilogy, I find out that there is now (as of 2008 anyway) a Korean "action western" that pays tribute to Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns. Directed by Kim Ji-woon, The Good, The Bad, and The Weird is set in 1930s Manchuria. It is the tale of a bounty killer (the Good), a hitman (the Bad), and a bandit (the Weird) who take on Manchurian brigands, the Japanese Army and each other to secure a treasure map.

Considering that I live in the hot, humid (I was battling mosquitos yesterday afternoon) Georgia equivalent to the Mos Eisley spaceport, I won't be able to find it down that the local Bijou. It may require a pilgrimage to the Big City, or, alas, I may just have to wait until it hits video.

Meanwhile, enjoy the trailer.



Or, check out the official website.

The Good, The Bad, & The Weird

No comments: