Saturday, February 7, 2009

Gamma World Lit

Sherman, set the wayback machine for 1980. My favorite writer was Stephen Vincent Benet. His writings touched on some of my favorite subjects: specifically, the American Civil War and doomsday. My favorite Benet short story is "By The Rivers of Babylon," the tale of a hero's quest in the post-apocalyptic age. I highly recommend it to my fellow fans of the End of The World As We Know It. Another of his doomsday works is the poem "Nightmare Number Three." When I was in ninth grade, all of the students in my English class had to stand up and share a poem with the class. I chose "Nightmare Number Three." I still vividly recall one airhead (as we called them back in the day) expressing her complete and utter lack of comprehension.

Mr. Benet's most famous works are John Brown's Body and The Devil and Daniel Webster. He died of a heart attack at the age of 44.

[ a piece of artwork inspired by "nightmare number three ]

John Updike is Dead, and Lux Interior Don't Feel So Good Himself
Speaking of folks dying of heart problems, Lux Interior of The Cramps is dead. What's even more shocking to me was that he was 62! Dear Lord, I'm old.

More Gamma Worldly Greatness
The Road movie

No comments: