Friday, June 5, 2009

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert ..."

h/t Curious Expeditions

Can't seem to find the remains of Jeremy Bentham? Looking for a 500 year old sculpture of a man eating a sack of babies? Or just searching for the sunken stumps of an ice age forest? Well, look no further! Atlas Obscura has all this and more. The Atlas bills itself as "a compendium of this age's wonders, curiousities, and esoterica." On the bill of fare are "outsider architecture," bizarre collections, medical museums, underground points-of-interest , and more.

Art

h/t Superhero Necromancer

Like Br'er Necromancer, I too spend a lot of time browsing art/illustration for writing ideas. I've pulled freely from the likes of Tim Bradstreet, Alex Toth, Doug Wildey, and N. C. Wyeth. Now, thanks to http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blogspot.com/ via Superhero Necromancer, I think I can add at least two artists to the list: Michael W. Kaluta and Virgil Finlay. Kaluta's work in Fax's 1976 edition of Robert E. Howard's Swords of Shahrazar reminds me of the pen-and-ink by Gary Gianni that made Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of The Road one of my favorite novels ever.

No comments: